Beef Tagine – Bumpkin
Townie had a roast out. I, luckily, had one in my freezer to pull too. She found this recipe and highly suggested it after having cooked a day ahead of me. I had MOST of the ingredients in the house so said “go ahead and post, I will do my version and post too”.
I didn’t have any squash in the house, because I don’t buy it since I am the only person in the house who will eat it. I substituted some yukon potatoes and carrots. I also wanted to put it in the crock pot so dinner would be ready when we got home from Girl Scouts, so I did not cut it into chunks but rather left it a whole roast. In typical Bumpkin fashion, I messed with the spices…just because I could!! The below recipe is how I made it, the link is the original.
I think the flavor was delicious. My 2-year old even had seconds, which is saying A LOT these days if dinner doesn’t consist of orange juice and pb&j!! I had every intention of picking up some Olive Oil Couscous (I can’t remember the brand I buy, I just know it by sight) into which I was going to add the last of the italian flat leaf parsley about to go bad in my refrigerator. But, it is cookie season at Girl Scouts so we left our meeting space so much later than normal. I called ahead to the hubby and asked him to put on a pot of rice. It sufficed as a side that could handle the yummy sauce, but next time, couscous for sure!
modified from Cooking Light
- 1 tablespoon Pampered Chef Moroccan Rub
- 2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2lb beef pot roast or petite tender roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup m chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can onion & garlic diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
Let’s Make it!
- 1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add beef; toss well to coat.
- 2. Heat oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and onions; cook until browned on all sides. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Take all ingredients from skillet and put into a crock pot. Stir in broth and tomatoes. Add potatoes and carrots; cover, cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve over rice or couscous! YUMMY!