Crispy Shrimp Pasta – Bumpkin
Decided on shrimp for dinner. It’s easy and the kids will eat it. I found a photo on Pinterest that looked yummy so I clicked through the links until I found the recipe. I had all the ingredients so, it’s what I made.
Hubby liked it, the kids ate it because it was put in front of them but they all commented on how spicy it was. Or, as the 2-year old proclaims “my mouf is who-tin”. I didn’t use very much spice at all, but I think cayenne has just the right “kick” to turn the kids off. I think the flavor was good. I will probably make it again.
The recipe below is with my modifications. As always, click on the link to see the original.
Crispy Shrimp Pasta
adapted from Kevin & Amanda
1 box of bowtie pasta
1 lb raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup frozen peas
salt & pepper, to taste
Let’s Make it!
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Sprinkle shrimp with salt, pepper, and toss to combine. Sprinkle 1 tbsp flour over the shrimp, and toss to coat the shrimp. Sprinkle 1 more tbsp flour and toss to evenly coat the shrimp. Melt butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add the shrimp in a single layer and cook on each side, flipping once, until golden brown, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Remove to plate.
3. Pour in the chicken broth. Cook for about 5 minutes, whisking the bottom of the pan to deglaze. Reduce heat to medium and pour in cream, whisking constantly. Cook sauce over medium heat until bubbly and the cream starts to thicken the mixture, about 5 minutes. Taste the sauce and add seasonings as desired (salt, pepper, cayenne, etc.)
4. Add veggies and cook for about 5 minutes, until tender.
5. Add the drained pasta and shrimp to the sauce, and stir to combine.
*If you have trouble getting the sauce to thicken, thoroughly mix 1 tbsp cornstarch with 4 tbsp cold water and add to the sauce. Sauce will thicken immediately.