baking tuesday – lime squares – townie
i couldnt decide what i was in the mood for – chocolate, berries, coconut, lemon???? i browsed my pinterest boards and these lime squares jumped out at me… especially the pistachios in the crust! YUM! these did not disappoint at all… they were a nice change from the traditional lemon squares and equally delicious! the only thing i would do different next time is add more butter to the crust — the graham cracker crust was really crumbly..
Lime Squares with Pistachio Graham-Cracker Crust
adapted form martha stewart
For The Crust
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for pan
- 2/3 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 cup (4 ounces) graham-cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoons grated lime zest
For The Filling
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. spray an 8-inch square baking dish with pam. Line bottom with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two sides.
- In a food processor, finely grind pistachios with graham-cracker crumbs, sugar, and zest. Blend in butter. Press mixture into bottom and 1 inch up sides of prepared pan. Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 12 minutes. Cool crust, 30 minutes.
- To make the filling: In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and condensed milk. Add lime juice; whisk until smooth. Pour filling into cooled crust; carefully spread to edges.
- Bake until set, about 15 minutes. Cool in pan on rack; then chill at least 1 hour before serving. Using parchment paper overhang, lift out of pan, and transfer to a cutting board.